Thursday, October 1, 2009

What's a girl to do?

My agency client asked me to be project manager for an upcoming project related to the report I wrote recently. It's a pretty big deal, and I'm excited to tackle it. But . . . they also asked me if I wanted to keep going on a freelance basis or make things more permanent.

I'm torn. On one hand, I love working with them and have been basically working on-site with them full-time for the last few months, so becoming an actual employee isn't really going to change my day-to-day existence. On the other hand, I'd be giving up that sense of "freedom" that comes with being a full-time freelancer.

Of course, there are other considerations as well: Is it a smart move financially? Will I be able to manage my other clients in the evenings? Would I even WANT to keep freelancing on a part-time basis?

Guess I've got some thinkin' to do . . .

While I'm giving my noggin a workout, How about telling me what you would do if you were in my shoes?

4 comments:

stephanerd said...

That's such a difficult decision! Especially since the "right" answer would be different for everyone, based upon their ideal career, the quality of life they're looking for, etc.

If it was me, and I was still interested in continuing with my other clients, I wouldn't go full-time. I just feel as if juggling all of that work would take significantly away from any work/life balance I was trying to achieve.

Angie Ledbetter said...

I'd be torn...unless I needed the benefits package. Congrats on the offer!

Lori said...

Why not ask them if you can start out freelance and see where it goes? What better way to see if it's a good fit permanently than to try it on first?

Amie said...

Thanks for your feedback, ladies!
Much appreciated.