Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Land of the Lost (lost lost lost lost)

Thanks to a Land of the Lost marathon on Chiller this weekend, I've had the theme song playing a nearly constant loop in my head.



As annoying as it has been, it got me thinking of how TV themes have changed over the decades . . . through the 70s, shows like LotL (and Gilligan's Island, The Patty Duke Show, The Brady Bunch . . .) told you just what you could expect from the show. The 80s were rife with instrumental introductions (Dynasty, Dallas, Doogie Howser, MD., Magnum PI . . .). The 90s introduced pop-inspired openers (Friends, Boy Meets World . . .). Then came the "anything goes" 00s. You never know what you're going to get, and you generally can't guess from the theme song what the heck you are in for.

If there are any theme writers out there, I would like to suggest a return to simpler times. For example, I'd love to hear a theme song for the CSI franchise that tells you what the series are about. If I had more time on my hands, I'd write them myself.

2 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

What a great observation. I find the same thing's happened with TV ads too...sometimes I don't have a clue what's being advertised. I'm nostalgic for those strong 70s jingles and tunes. (Maybe the networks and ad agencies will come around. I just heard a remake of McD's "Two all beef patties...") the other day.

Unknown said...

Fabulous post! I remember, on a lazy Sunday afternoons, when old movies were shown on TV. One always knew, by the music, if the movie would be a heartwarming program or if it would be a thriller. I miss that!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com