Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Breath of not-so-fresh air

I hope everybody got a chance to enjoy the holiday weekend. I know I did! From seeing an old friend on Friday to a(nother) charity 5K followed by a cookout on Monday, my long weekend was packed with fun and frolic.

On Saturday, my hubby and I went to the Columbus Museum of Art to see To Live Forever, a collection of Egyptian art and antiquities on loan from the Brooklyn Museum. It was interesting, and I even spotted a typo in one of the descriptive plaques (unfortunately, the "no photography" rule prevented me from snapping a quick pic to accompany this post).

Monday, as I was clearing off the patio in preparation for our cookout, I noticed a barnyardesque smell on the breeze. I assumed it was just decomposing vegetation in the woodier part of our yard . . . until my husband pointed out that the folks whose backyard butts up against ours had created a compost heap right against their fenceline. So now any time the wind blows from the north, we will get that lovely smell. Joy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems so inconsiderate of them. I always had a compost area...but remembered how I would feel if I had been downwind from it when deciding the location. Why don't you plant a rose garden on the other side of the fence to mask the smell???? Not to mention, you could "borrow" some of the compost to help the roses...just a thought.

Anne said...

That's particularly bad, as it's when the wind is from the north that we have a pleasant summer day! That's too bad. Maybe you can talk to them about it? Perhaps if they turn it more often it won't smell quite as much.

Lori said...

Ew. Stinky!

Yep, put up some plantings. The compost would surely be seeping along the border and would make for some excellent growing conditions! I would recommend something fast-growing and sweet-smelling, like honeysuckle vines.

I bet they never even thought about the "after smell." I wouldn't have, either. If they're new to composting, it's an honest mistake. If it's chronic and the heap is movable, just invite them over for some drinks right when the wind shifts. They'll get the idea.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Like you said..."backyard butts" can't be anything but bad news. :)

Amie said...

Fortunately we don't spend a LOT of time back there . . .