Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gooooooaaaaallllllllll!!!!!!!!!

When I started freelancing full-time (if you're just joining us, I made freelance writing my career in June of 2007), I was hesitant to set specific goals for myself. I was unsure what to expect, and to be honest I was afraid of failure. I figured as long as I could keep my head above water--meaning pay my bills and buy groceries--that was good enough to start with.

Now a little more than a year and a half later, I'm feeling more confident. The fear, while not completely gone, has abated considerably. So today I hauled out the calculator and, using my pitiful but serviceable math skills, came up with a monthly monetary goal.

If I reach it more often than not (and I am fairly certain I can--hopefully I'll even exceed it on occasion), I will have made more at the end of the year than I did in my last year at the cube farm job. That means not only can I pay bills and buy groceries, but I can resume my unhealthy "new shoes" habit!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Stop that kind of talk right now, young lady! New shoes are a necessity, you understand? N-E-C-E-S-S-I-T-Y. If I had to stop buying shoes... well, let's just not even entertain such a gawd-awful thought!

It's what makes me work harder - that pair of peep toes at the end of the assignment. ;))

Kathryn Magendie said...

Now I want a new pair of shoes...dang

Angie Ledbetter said...

Congrats on your successes, and many more!