Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Get to the 'Point

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, but I didn't want to stay asleep either. All night long, I dreamed I was working on a PowerPoint presentation. All. Night. Long. I woke up several times and tried to shake it off, but when I fell back asleep, I fell right back into the dream. If this has ever happened to you, then you know that you wake up in the morning feeling like you got absolutely no sleep. I'm on my second big cup of coffee, and am just now starting to perk up a bit.*

And to make matters worse, the PowerPoint kept changing because other people kept giving me feedback about it.
"Change the font."
"Can you add animation to slide 10?"
"I don't like that background."
These "perpetual work dreams" happen to me every once in a while, and usually they are tied to whatever I'm working on at the moment. Last night was a new experience for me because I've never spent all night dreaming about PowerPoint (usually it's Word or Excel), and I'm not actually working on a PowerPoint for anybody.

I suppose it could have been worse--my least favorite dreams are the ones in which I'm in high school and can't remember my locker combination or class schedule (though I'm always fully clothed!), or I'm in college and can't find my best friend or call home. I awake from those dreams really anxious. I'll take being tired over being anxious any day.

* For the sake of full disclosure, I feel compelled to point out that while this post was published at 7 on Wednesday morning, it was written at 10 on Tuesday morning.

3 comments:

Lori said...

My perpetual dream is one where no matter how hard I try, I can't get to work on time. Cars break down, clocks stop, buildings aren't where they should be....

What kept me up last night was a simmering upset with two clients - one of whom talked to me as though I was a dolt (when in actual fact she was the dolt for not providing all the information she's paid to provide to me). The other? Similar attitude, but I've learned to develop a thick skin and a higher hourly rate with that one. ;))

Angie Ledbetter said...

I've had those all-nighters too, where whatever I've worked on during the day will not get out of my dreams. And ewww on the recurring nightmare dreams of missing college finals, showing up naked to an important event, or worst of all...free falling in an elevator. *shiver* Hope your day perked up after a restless night.

Amie said...

Lori, I've had those nights of stewing too--where I have conversations with the other person in my head, and come up with all the things I should have said or done that would have made them see the error of their ways.

Angie, last night was much better, thanks, and only featured your garden variety "well that makes no sense" kind of dreams.