Friday, October 24, 2008

Coveting thy neighbor's stuff

The feast-or-famine nature of this week's copy editing gig forced me to find creative ways to kill time. When I ran out of lists to make, I decided to spend some time exploring my environment.

To ensure that I was available if and when any editorial work came my way, I limited my explorations to the copy editor's office which has been my home base all week. Even in this small space, I found many wonderful treasures to covet:
  • a license plate which reads "META4S"
  • a vast library of reference books, including 4 dictionaries, 2 thesauruses and a wide variety of style guides
  • all my favorite software, and a hard drive big enough to run it all without slowing to a crawl
  • Post-it notes galore, including multicolor flags, minis, traditional squares and 4x6 ruled
  • a "Word of the Day" calendar (Thursday's word: philippic, meaning a discourse or declamation full of bitter condemnation)
  • an entire wall of cork board
  • a giant ampersand paperweight
Hmm. I may have just written my Christmas list!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Here's something to occupy you - is the plural of thesarus thesauri? Thesauruses? Thesaurees? What rule does it follow? Why?

I need more caffeine - can you tell? :))

Lori said...

Here's something to occupy you - is the plural of thesarus thesauri? Thesauruses? Thesaurees? What rule does it follow? Why?

I need more caffeine - can you tell? :))

Lori said...

And I need to stop pushing buttons - ack!

Amie said...

Haha! I think the preferred spelling of the plural is thesauri, but thesauruses (or as I pronounce it in my head, thesauruseseses) is also accepted.

Melody Platz said...

I want post it notes for Christmas. This got me thinking: My friends never buy me funky pens and paper, even though they KNOW I'm a writer. I hardly ever get book store gift certificates.

I think I'm going to have to be more clear about my list. Melody needs pretty paper!

Melody Platz
www.writerscomfycorner.com

Unknown said...

Isn't it great that there is always something for us to wish for?

I hope you get everything on your new "Christmas" list. :)

Small Footprints