Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Turning them down

I got an email from my contact at the creative staffing firm last night. In it, she described the following copywriting project and asked if I'd be interested:
Project Title: Copywriter

Description: One of our retail clients is looking for a copywriter with excellent writing skills (of course), ideally with a fashion or retail background. This position also requires strong organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects. If you’re interested, please share some details about writing projects you may have done for fashion/retail/personal care products or industries.

Location: onsite, at the client’s location

Hours: standard office hours

Estimated Length: 6 months

Rate: [about half what I usually charge]
My reply back to her went a little like this:
I've never been so torn about a potential project!
  • It sounds like a good opportunity . . . BUT . . . it is a pretty long-term project and at least 2 of my freelance clients have some work planned for me that will take me into next year.
  • I don't have any direct experience with fashion/retail/personal care . . . BUT . . . that's never really gotten in my way before.
  • The hourly rate is lower than I'd like to go . . . BUT . . . it IS a long-term project, which offsets the lower hourly rate a bit.
I think in all fairness to my other clients and to [this client], I have to say no to this. I can definitely handle shorter-term projects and still meet my obligations to my other clients, but this feels like more of a one-or-the-other kind of situation. I hate to say it . . . but please offer this opportunity to someone else.
Clicking "send" on that email literally made me nauseous. I don't like turning down projects--especially long-term ones--but I think I made the right decision. And hopefully, in saying no to this one, I'm making myself available for other opportunities down the line.

No comments: