Monday, July 7, 2008

Look, or just leap?

In a recent post, The Urban Muse listed 10 things to do before quitting your day job to become a freelancer.

I wish I'd seen this list a year, one month and 2 weeks ago. I would love to say that I did all of these things before deciding to leave my cubefarm job, but I didn't. In fact, I didn't do a single one . . . at least not before I quit.

I'm fortunate that I didn't have to worry about numbers 1 (writing for long periods of time without someone lookin
g over your shoulder) or 6 (health insurance), and I knocked off numbers 2, 8, 9 and 10 within two weeks of quitting. I probably should have put a little more thought into the rest.

That's not to say things didn't turn out okay, but I imagine the road would have been a little less bumpy. Then again, maybe a less bumpy road would have taken me to a different place, and I'm pretty happy where I am.

No comments: