Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Interview

The creative staffing firm with whom I am working sent me off on an interview today. The company, a local agency, is looking for someone to fill in for 3 days while their copy editor is on vacation. I am one of several freelancers they were meeting with.

In preparation for the interview, I did some internet research on the company (they have a long history, do great work, and have a really neat corporate culture) and on one of the people I was scheduled to meet with (we are both of Hungarian descent, with very similar family names). I had hoped to use my info to build rapport, but they seemed a little surprised and maybe even disconcerted by my investigation.

The staffing firm told me to bring my portfolio "just in case", but said they thought the interview would be more of a Q&A session. It ended up being about 10 minutes of discussion, and then I spent the next hour in a room by myself proofreading two pieces. On one, I found very little that could be changed without extensive editing (it was filled with medical terminology), but there were many little errors on the 2nd one. I just hope I caught everything I was supposed to catch.

Meanwhile, the copy editor was looking over my portfolio. I wish I'd been there to explain some of the pieces in it.

After I'd finished going over the copy I went out to the front desk, where I found my portfolio sitting with the receptionist. She paged the copy editor, who took the pieces I'd edited, thanked me for coming in, and said they'd be in touch with the staffing firm.

So in a nutshell, I have no idea how I did. There was little feedback, positive or negative. I guess I just have to wait and see, and hope for the best!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like you behaved more professionally than the company did. Nothing to be worried about - you left nothing but a good impression and some great clips behind. If you don't get it, it's because you're much better than they need. :))

Lori said...

By the way, I've added you to my blog roll. Great stuff here!

Amie said...

Thanks Lori--for the feedback AND for adding me to your blog roll!